Tuesday 23 March 2010

Interning: Day 1/2

This week I started my internship with The Independent on the fashion desk – feeling very metropolitan and channelling Whitney Port all the way.

Having only had editorial work experience and a stint in PR, this was my very first fashion placement (excited squeal) and Monday highlighted a few things, all of which anyone in the industry will snigger at…

Firstly, look books are A-mazing, Monday was the first time I had seen one in the flesh you see. The aim of the game is to stand out from the crowd – Christian Louboutin’s bible-style (very apt), hardback book stood out for me; very extravagant in black, red and gold. As did the sophisticated and simple offering from VB. Tidying the A-Z took forever simply because I couldn’t help but look through every single one.

Secondly, it’s the norm for the fashion cupboard to be a mess…with hundreds of products being called in and then returned, and shoots happening left, right and centre, it simply becomes a dumping ground (much like my housemates bedroom). I have such an urge to tidy it but I have been told by fellow intern, Scarlett - www.scarlookcloser.blogspot.com, that it’s beyond the point of rescue.

Thirdly, as much as I love them, high heels and the tube just don’t mix well. I can survive the car park, train and walking to the office but the underground, with it's random sloping walkways, is a real challenge - especially in rush hour. I shuffled through on Monday but today, lesson learnt, I had a pair of flats in the Mulberry.

Fouthly, it’s not all glamour. I’ve been spending my day calling in camera bags for a top ten feature. The only one to get excited about is an Anya Hindmarch – very cute.

And last but not least, ALWAYS put the lid on your Buxton bottle of water. Speaking from experience, if you don't, you will end up with a very wet handbag and a broken camera (currently sat in the airing cupboard). This also means no photos of what I’m wearing to work which I was going to post, inspired by www.styleofafashionista.blogspot.com.

So instead a bit of imagination is needed…

Monday: Navy tailored harem’s from Zara with a skinny brown belt, plain ¾ sleeved white leotard from Top Shop and a pair of H&M lace up heeled gladiators in nude. Teamed with my classic trench from H&M and a Mulberry Daria drawstring tote.

Tuesday: River Island skirt – button through, African print in cream, black and orange (floaty, sits quite high) with a plain black vest from ASOS and a cute ¾ Chanel–esq, cream jacket with black edging from H&M. Teamed with black tights (yes it's still cold) and open-toed, shoe boots with a ribbon lace.


Tara xoxo

1 comment:

  1. i loved Monday's outfit! and cheers for plugging me <3....we may well be asked to tidy said cupboard......let the good times roll x

    ReplyDelete